Thursday, December 17, 2009

Are You in the Right Job?

Now that I am in my 3rd career, I discovered a litmus test of finding out if you are in the right job. Ask yourself do you like the people you go to lunch with? When I was in the Army, I found it hard to find like minded individuals to chat about philosophy, politics, and books, so I usually ate alone sitting against a tree. When I was an elementary school teacher, I couldn't bear eating lunch in the teachers' lounge and listening to the gossiping and complaining, so I usually ate alone in my classroom. In my current job (now academia), I fill up my lunch plans every week with different coworkers that I genuinely enjoy chatting, collaborative brainstorming, and conversing with. After all I am not a loner luncher, I am finally in the right job around the right people for me.

No comments: